The Nyinkka Nyunyu art and culture centre is a community
development project of Julalikari Council Aboriginal
Julalikari Council developed Nyinkka Nyunyu through
a comprehensive participatory planning process involving
all Traditional Owners and ultimately the regional
Aboriginal Community. This project is community
owned and driven. The aim was to ensure a continuation
of community ownership of the project and to develop
a sustainable management system.
In 1995 when planning commenced the Traditional
- It must be a grog-free (alcohol-free) area.
- The development must recognize that this is Warumungu
- We want to tell the history of the Warumungu people
from an aboriginal viewpoint.
- We want to create a place in town where young
people can learn from old people as well as learn
dance and some traditional skills
- Young people should be involved in this project
and learn how to manage this place one day
- Visitors are welcome!